Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Linux Ham Update

Well, I have Xubuntu running and I finally got fldigi configured with my Signalink USB. It was pretty painless but it seems that I had to have fldigi shutdown when I inserted the USB cable or it wouldn't recognize it. I was glad to see that it's even easier than Windows. No drivers or anything to install. Just plug it in and rock n roll! If you want to confirm that it's working tail the log to see it show up. Try this from a terminal window:

sudo tail -f /var/log/messages

If you're not familiar with this command, tail will show you the end or tail of a file. The -f parameter tells it to follow the log meaning it will change on the screen as the file changes. This is how you can watch the log changing in real time. The log we're watching is /var/log/messages. When you plug the Signalink in the log should look something like this:

usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 11
usb 3-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
input: Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb3/3-2/3-2:1.3/input/input12
generic-usb 0003:08BB:2904.0002: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.00 Device [Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC ] on usb-0000:00:1a.0-2/input3

I've trimmed some unnecessary data for brevity, namely the timestamp.

Your fldigi soundcard configuration should look like this.
fldigi soundcard config

Still trying to make my first Linux-based QSO but my battery is low. It's also my anniversary so I suppose I should stop playing and start getting ready for a night out. At least I know I'm receiving. :-)

fldigi waterfall

No comments: